You have a project to make your house an intergenerational or bigenerational house? Call on Construction Précellence, a general contractor specialized in the conversion of single-family homes into intergenerational homes. Our experienced team offers you a wide range of services in renovation, construction, design, architecture and expansion, from the first visit to your home, to the choice of materials. Call us today for a quote!
Work with Construction Précellence, your specialist in intergenerational home conversion in Mount Royal !
With an increasingly aging population, many people decide to welcome a parent or grandparent into their home. However, such a decision implies that you adapt your home to this autonomous or semi-autonomous person. Before embarking on such a large-scale project, consult the team of specialists at Construction Précellence. Composed of interior designers, draftsmen, architectural specialists, specialized technicians (painter, cabinetmaker, plasterer, electrician, plumber, etc.), our team will help you see clearly in your project whether you simply need to do some renovation work to adapt your house or if you need to make an extension or add a floor. Rest assured that our team will be with you every step of the way, from the first home visit to the delivery of the project, including 3D imaging and material selection.
What work needs to be done to a house to qualify as an intergenerational house?
If you want to provide a comfortable and safe environment for your elderly loved ones, it is essential to make some renovations or modifications to your home. But how is it possible to adapt and convert your single-family home into an intergenerational home?
- Functional and safe home entrance: For the doorway, you should focus on a higher intensity of lighting that will limit the chances of falling due to poor stair distinction. If you have a door eyecup, it should be placed at an accessible height. If your parent or grandparent is hard of hearing, it will be interesting to combine the doorbell with a visual indicator.
- Kitchen and storage: Enlarged countertops and cabinets at eye level reduce the need to reach for items and the risk of dropping them.
- Safe bathroom: Although it is often one of the most expensive rooms to modify, you can easily adapt your bathroom to the needs of a senior with minor renovations and construction. Install a walk-in shower, which has the great advantage of not having any steps, which limits the risk of falling. You may also consider changing the floor covering to a non-slip floor covering to reduce the risk of falls. Finally, although it is not well known, the thermostatic mixer allows you to adjust the water temperature with a simple control and automatically blocks the temperature increase to 38 degrees Celsius
- Adding a floor: If you want to provide maximum independence for your parent or grandparent, you should also consider adding a floor to your home to make it an apartment for your parent. However, adding a second floor requires a much larger investment, between $70,000 and $200,000. Discuss this possibility with our team to make the best decision possible.
- Residential expansion: Another possibility is to expand your own home into an apartment or dwelling for the senior who will be living with you. Again, the expansion of a single-family home to an intergenerational home is a major investment on your part. Be sure to explore all possibilities with our team before making a decision.
What is the average price of a single-family home conversion to an intergenerational home?
Although this is one of the first questions we are asked during the first home visit, it depends entirely on the work you decide to do in your home to make it accessible and safe for a senior. It is obvious that adding a floor or enlarging your home will lead to a much more substantial investment on your part. If you would like to explore the possibilities of renovating an intergenerational home, we invite you to contact us.
Please note that we do intergenerational housing conversions in residential settings only. Here is an overview of the locations where we can perform renovation and construction work.
- Single-family house / Bungalow
- Cottage / Multi-storey house
- Semi-detached / Townhouse
- Duplex, triplex, quadruplex
- Luxury house, prestige house & high-end house
Why choose Construction Précellence for your intergenerational home?
In business since 1948, Construction Précellence distinguishes itself from other construction companies with its approach based on the search for quality materials, sustainable architecture, the work of construction specialists, the search for new innovative techniques in renovation, but also the active participation of its team at each stage of the project.
- In-home consultation with a professional designer
- Cost estimates & prices for your construction and renovation project
- Taking measurements
- Plan and 3D model and follow-up of the manufacturing of the elements
- Delivery and installation of the material
- Workforce quality and superior knowledge
- Compliance with the highest standards of cost control
- Strict adherence to deadlines and budget
- Workplace protection and cleanliness
- Obtaining the construction permits required by the city and/or the borough
If you would like more information on our single-family home conversion service in Mount Royal, or on our other renovation, construction and expansion services, we invite you to contact us by email, by phone, or to come and meet us at our Montreal office. Our team will be pleased to welcome you and answer all your questions in order to start your project.